Here is a page from the website of the United Nations Volunteer Programme in the UN
Becoming a UNV volunteer
As a part of its activities, UNV opens up opportunities for professional women and men to serve as UNV volunteers and contribute to the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) - a set of time-bound targets to combat poverty, hunger, disease, illiteracy, environmental degradation and discrimination against women.
The UNV programme recruit a great diversity of talents and offer these opportunities to:
* Professionals from various sectors and from any country who want to share their expertise with counterparts in developing countries. Apply here.
* Humanitarian aid specialists from all walks of life and from any country to provide humanitarian assistance and support relief and peace efforts. Apply here.
* Senior business leaders and retired executives from any country in the world who wish to support private sector development in developing countries.
* Expatriate professionals from the developing world who would like to return and share their expertise with national counterparts in their home country.
* Experts who wish to volunteer in their own countries and share local knowledge and culture.
In addition, there are opportunities for online volunteering
UNV's Online Volunteering (OV) service connects development organizations and volunteers over the Internet and supports their effective online collaboration.
It gives development organizations access to a broader pool of knowledge and resources to enhance their capacities, while it offers individuals worldwide additional opportunities to volunteer for development and contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
The OV service has enabled more than 1000 non-profit development organizations (CSOs, government institutions, academic institutions, United Nations organizations) to benefit from the support of more than 12,000 individuals from 182 countries (60% women, 40% from developing countries in 2007) who:
* Provide technical expertise (e.g. advice on waste disposal, contract drafting)
* Support project and resources management (e.g. project planning, volunteers management)
* Contribute to knowledge management (e.g. data collection, database development)
* Facilitate communication and networking (e.g. newsletters production and translation, moderation of online discussion groups)
If you are interested in volunteering online, your first stop should be UNV's Online Volunteering service at www.onlinevolunteering.org